Monday, July 15, 2013

A Question...

  Have any of you seen the movie "Before I Self Destruct"?

  It is a rip-roaring comedy for the whole family about a young man who chooses an unusual career path after the unfortunate death of his mother leaves him with the task of raising his genius younger brother, and the creative ways he finds to deal with the challenges along the way.

  It was written, directed, and starred in by the classically trained thespian Curtis Jackson. ( AKA 50 Cent.)

  Here is an uplifting and inspiring song from the soundtrack.  (Put on your headphones. I don't care where you are...)

  If you have seen this movie, keep in mind that when given complete artistic control over a movie in which he could have portrayed ANYTHING he wanted, THIS is what 50 Cent did.

  While I was surfing around this morning, I ran across this article which showed a photo of Trayvon Martin, taken on the night of the shooting.

  He may as well have been wearing a 50 Cent Halloween Costume.

  Now, you may not have seen the movie I spoke about earlier, but I will guarantee you that Trayvon Martin had.

  Now, to my question.

  Let's say I am riding around looking for a place to eat lunch. On one side of the street I see a restaurant with a well maintained parking lot, beautiful landscaping, and a pretty new sign out front proclaiming that they specialize in my very favorite food. On the other side of the street, I see a dilapidated, run down building, a pothole infested dirt parking lot, and a "Sanitation Grade C" sign posted by the door.

  In which one of these restaurants do you think I am going to eat?

  That's profiling.

  Why can't I do that with people?

  There is a difference between Judgement and Prejudice. I use judgement to prevent myself from getting Ptomaine poisoning when I eat lunch, to prevent myself from buying a worn out lemon car, to make sure I am using the right tool at work. I use it to protect myself from snake bites, to stay out of car accidents, and to know who I can smart off to and still keep my job.

  Why is it somehow racist and wrong when I direct that same judgement toward people?

  If I were to buy a surplus military Humvee, an Army uniform, cut my hair really short and carry an M16, the people who saw me would assume I was in the Army. When I am wearing my work uniform, I don't have to show my badge to get my work discount at Zaxby's.

  Why is it wrong to assume that someone who is wearing the uniform of a street criminal may be up to no good? 

 


 

4 comments:

Danny Wright said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Danny Wright said...

That's a good question. I mean, I know that most of those who oppose profiling as you described are either being disingenuous. But why? What is their end game? Do they even know what it is, or are they unwitting pawns of evil? I don't know the answer to that question.

Marshal Art said...

Wow. I had not visited in quite a while as you had not been posting anything new. Then, I accidentally click on your link at my blog and I see that you've added a couple of posts as recently as only 14 months ago! Good to see and I would love to see more activity here, as well as more visits to the usual haunts (though some of them are relatively inactive as well). Your insights had always been welcome and would be again.

Erudite Redneck said...

Y'all can call me Rev. ER now. :-)