Wednesday, May 21, 2008

With All Due Respect...

Mike at "Mike's America" has written a very respectful, very statesman-like, well-wishing Blog post about Ted Kennedy's brain cancer. If that's what you are looking for, then click the link, and go over there.

Mike is a statesman, and has made a career as a diplomat.

I am a truck driver.

Now, I do not, nor would I ever wish brain cancer on anyone. It is a horrible disease, and apparently Ted Kennedy's case is inoperable, and most probably incurable. I have the utmost sympathy for both him as a person, and his family. My prayers are with them all.

But if brain cancer will remove him from the U.S. Senate, I'll take it.

Ted Kennedy has been the most effective and successful enemy of the ideals and concepts that made America great that the world has ever known.

Name any issue that you are angry about, and I can tie it to Ted Kennedy.

Mad about high gas prices? Ted Kennedy has consistently opposed any and all efforts and strategies to streamline the production and delivery of all types of energy in America for three decades.

Angry about the healthcare system? Ted Kennedy authored the legislation which set up the flawed HMO system (remember that?) and subsequently allowed healthcare costs to skyrocket for the past twenty years, while simultaneously training Americans to believe that someone else should provide their healthcare for them.

Immigration? Kennedy first began to monkey with U.S. Immigration Policy in 1965, by helping to push through the Hart-Celler Act, which was a drastic overhaul of Immigration policies in America. "The bill will not flood our cities with immigrants. It will not upset the ethnic mix of our society. It will not relax the standards of admission. It will not cause American workers to lose their jobs." Said Kennedy.

The bill, when put into practice, proceeded to flood our cities with immigrants, upset the ethnic mix of our society, relax the standards of admission, and cause American workers to lose their jobs.

Education? Kennedy co-authored the "No Child Left Behind" Act, which has been pointed out repeatedly to be one of the major failings of the G.W. Bush Administration. (Huh?) The decline of American Education has happened entirely since Ted Kennedy became a U.S. Senator, and he should shoulder his fair share of the blame.

He has consistently ignored the U.S. Constitution, and opposed at every turn the right of U.S. Citizens to keep and bear Arms.

He has been an outspoken and tireless advocate of U.S. embarrassment and defeat in the War in Iraq.

His stand on same-sex marriage should anger you whichever side of the issue you are on. He claims to support same-sex marriage, but has never sponsored any legislation attempting to legalize it. (Unless you count his usurpation of Presidential power through blocking President Bush's Judicial Nominees... But then again, Kennedy knows that the courts are the extra-Constitutional path of Liberalism into Law...)

And, despite the fact that he, himself, has been fabulously wealthy all of his life through no effort of his own, he has chosen to make a career of working tirelessly to place stumbling blocks in the path of any American who would seek to become wealthy through hard work, ingenuity, or investment.

And on, and on, and on...

And on.

Ted Kennedy has been in the Senate all of my life, and I have had no method of removing him.

The people of Massachusetts have for some unknown reason chosen to inflict him upon America since 1962, and he has opposed everything that I hold dear, everything that I believe in. I was not surprized to learn that his opinions and ideas emmanated from a diseased brain.

I, for one, will not be sorry to see him go. I do not wish him his pain. I wish him a speedy and comfortable departure. (And his inevitable eternal reward, whatever that may be.)

I suppose that I should at least try to say something nice about the man rather than simply trash him with a list of facts, since (as far as we know, ) he is a human being...

So, here goes...

As far as we know, he hasn't killed anyone in almost forty years...

Sorry. Best I can do.

Happy Trails, Senator Kennedy! Here's to the speedy relief of your suffering, and ours!

5 comments:

Mike's America said...

Tug: I think you know how I feel about Teddy Kennedy. I've memorialized the anniversary of the July 19, 1967 death of Mary Jo Kopechne and I doubt I have ever agreed with Kennedy on anything ever.

But now is not the time for us to reflect on that. Despite our disagreement, he's a human being with long history of service (such as it is) to his country.

I fully understand the truck drivers point of view (though I am not sure I like being called a "diplomat")but for me at least I'll refrain from criticizing Kennedy during this time.

P.S. No problem with the link.

tugboatcapn said...

Thanks, Mike.

The "diplomat" reference was meant as a compliment. You have a way of wording tings so that your concepts seem more polished and less abrasive than mine sometimes come off.

I wish no ill toward Mr. Kennedy the human being, and want nothing more than his and his family's comfort and ease during this difficult time. He, and they have (has?) my deepest sympathy.

But at the same time, I wish God's speed to those who must now undertake the task of erasing his sorry legacy from the face of America, if such a task can indeed be accomplished.

While his illness and suffering are tragic, it will be a wonderful day in America when his influence is no longer felt.

Lone Ranger said...

This is a real test of Christian forgiveness. And I confess to being conflicted to the maximum. This evil man has done more to harm this country and the American culture than any other politician I can think of. Over on the liberal boards, you'd thing they had all become Quakers. But, you know if this had happened to Bush, they would be dancing in the streets. RIP Mary Jo.

tugboatcapn said...

Well, the way I see it, LR, you can forgive a snake for biting you once, but if you forgive him for being a snake, you will get bitten over and over again.

I do not wish Mr. Kennedy any pain. I am sorry about any human suffering.

But the truth is that his career should have been spent in prison, not the U.S. Senate.

It will take centuries to undo the damage he has done to my Country.

I am not sorry to see him go, nor will I say one word about what a fine fellow he is.

He ain't.

God will not condemn me for telling the truth, not even about someone who is terminally ill.

Anonymous said...

Off the subject, you were right about the environment and choice of used car over new hybrid check this months issue of Wired. It confirms your views!