Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Aging Gracefully...

I'm saving up for a Skeleton Transplant.

The way I figure it, by the time I save enough money to pay for it, they will have perfected the technology.

Mine is completely worn out (perhaps due to travelling around two million miles or so over the past ten years, in a variety of rough riding and uncomfortable vehicles.).

Every time I move anything, my bones make all of these horrible, popping, grinding, scraping, groaning noises. (Then again, maybe that's my head that's making the groaning noises...)

It has occured to me that I am older right now than I have ever been before, and this problem continues to get worse every second.

This is disturbing.

The thing is, I don't really know how this happened. I don't remember getting this way. I didn't plan it, and I didn't want it to happen.

I did all of the things that I was supposed to do to avoid it...

I engaged in irresponsible behavior at almost every opportunity. I hung around with people who were way too young for me to relate to. I listened to all of the hip, cool, new music, and even played most of it on the guitar.

I married a young, beautiful woman.

(In retrospect, I think I might have married a young woman sort of in anticipation of this very situation. Later in life, I can retire while she continues to work for another ten years or so, thereby saving me the trouble of saving for my own retirement.)

(She didn't think very much of this plan, by the way, when I ran it by her...)

But then again, I wouldn't really want to be any younger than I am.

I am 39. (For a few more weeks.) (For the first time.)

I have built race cars, and fast ones at that. I played in a semi-professional band. I have driven Tractor Trailer trucks all over the USA and Canada. Several times.

I have known and interacted with a million different people, of every age, and from every different walk of life, and I have learned something from each and every one of them.

I have seen just about everything once, and most interesting things twice.

I know how to do a lot of different things.

I know a lot of different things.

I did not become who and what I am overnight. In fact it took about 39 and 3/4 years.

And I like myself pretty well. As a matter of fact, I value my opinion more than almost anyone else's opinion in the world, because in my experience, I am almost always right about almost everything. ( At least I agree with myself on most subjects...)

So besides all the creaking and groaning, I believe that I am getting better with age.

So I should be almost perfect, once I get my Skeleton Transplant.

Some day...

No comments: