Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Tag...I'm IT!!

Pastor Timothy has tagged me.

The subject of his Meme is 80's Music, a subject which I dearly love.

I became musically aware in the 80's, and ever since, music has been a very important part of my life. I learned to play guitar in the 80's, and I was totally caught up in the "Hair Metal" craze, and in the "Grunge Movement" that replaced it.

I played in a Band for years, I loved every minute of it, and would do it again in a heartbeat, if I had the time.

Anyway, here are Pastor Tim's questions, and my answers. (Also available at his place.)

1. One 1980s song that has changed your life: "In the still of the night" by Whitesnake.

It came out right at the same time that I got my first Electric Guitar and amplifier, and was one of the first songs that I ever learned to play.

That eventually led to countless hours at Band Practice, late-night Gigs in seedy rat-hole Bars, and lots of women with whom I had...ahem...friendships (before I met and married my Wife, of course).

2. One 1980s song that you can sing all the lyrics: "Stray Cat Strut" by the Stray Cats.

Still sing it at Karaoke a few times a year...

3. One 1980s band you would want on a desert island with you: The GoGo's!

I know that they are all old women, but I'm an old man...You don't think that I would want to surround myself with a bunch of dudes, do you?

(That is, if my wife wasn't there. If she were, then my choice would be Rush. They would be intensly interesting, and they are all uglier than I am.)

4. One 1980s band that you are embarrased you listened to: Poison.

C.C. DeVille (Guitarist for Poison) once said in an interview: "We are not making Art, we are making Burgers."

And he was right.

5. One 1980s band that made you cry [or feel really sad]:Rush.

Some of their lyrics are extremely deep, and dark.

6. One 1980s band that you wanted to play with: Ratt.

They were way cool, Junior!

7. One 1980s band that you wish had never formed: Men Without Hats.

They inhaled profusely.

8. One 1980s band you still listen to: Depeche Mode.

They get better and better as they get older.

9. One 1980s band you want your children to listen to: Metallica.

I would love to raise a whole crop of monsterous guitar players.

10. I would like to tag Goat, Elashley, D.Daddio, Mike, and Daffy.

Have fun!

No comments: