Sunday, January 29, 2006

Put Your Heart Into It, Or Get Your Butt Out Of It...

I woke up from my Sunday afternoon nap with a brilliant idea for a new post.

It would have possibly been the best post I have ever written. I have no doubt that everyone who read it would have been enlightened by it, would have told all of their friends about it and they too would would have been enlightened, and thousands of lives would have been changed.

That one post would have solved several problems of society all at once, and stress and strife would have in large part disappeared from our world because of my blog, and my idea for this new post.

But I can't remember what it was.

Oh well...

I slept about four hours this afternoon because there was no football. We even tried to MAKE some football by watching a couple of football movies like "The longest Yard", and "The Replacements", but it just wasn't the same. I don't know what we are going to do when the Pro Bowl is over and done in a couple of weeks...I guess I could revert back to my roots and watch NASCAR...

One thing that watching all these movies has done is to cause me to realize why certain things happen. Movies tend to condense philosophical concepts which may be hard to grasp in the broader context of real life, into more easily recognizable and understandable packages.

Like this. Why didn't Atlanta make it to the Super Bo...um..."The Big Game" this year, when Seattle made it? Why did Indianapolis almost go undefeated but then fall on their face (with home feild advantage) against Pittsburg in the first playoff game they played?

(WARNING!! CHEESE ALERT!!)

They didn't have heart. They didn't want it badly enough. Seattle and Pittsburg did, Atlanta and Indianapolis did not.

And everybody knows that if your heart isn't in it, your butt will soon be out of it.

Whatever it is.

I hope that we can all remember this lesson as we engage our own personal and public battles over the next few months.

If your opponent wants the victory more than you do, and if you are not willing to do whatever it takes to win it, he will probably beat you.

It doesn't matter if you are the best Football team to ever play the game. It doesn't matter if you are the smartest person in the room...

It won't matter that your ideas would save America and your opponent's ideas would destroy it.

You have to put all you've got into it, or you will lose.

Go Seattle!!

No comments: