Saturday, April 22, 2006

My God Is Able To Deliver Me...

The story is told of a man who had lived his whole life on the banks of a large river.

One rainy season, the river overflowed it's banks and flooded his house.

He retreated to the upper floor, and began to pray.

"God, please deliver me from the flood."

After a couple of hours, he heard a knock on his window, and opened it up to see a man in a boat.

"I'm here to rescue you", the boatman said.

"No, I'm okay." replied the man. "God will take care of me."

As the waters continued to rise, the man was forced to climb outside, and take refuge on his roof. After a while, another man drifted by in another boat, and offered to rescue the man from his roof.

"No, I'm okay. God will take care of me..." he said.

In a few more hours, the man was clinging to the top of his chimney, as the flood waters raged all around him.

A helicopter flew up and hovered overhead. As the crew dropped a rope down to him, he waved them off, saying "No thanks, God will save me!"

They left, and he drowned.

When he stood before God, he asked "Why did You not save me? I had faith, I prayed, and You still let me drown. Why, oh Lord?"

The Lord replied "Well, I sent two boats and a helicopter..."

The World is a scary place lately. There are wars, and rumors of wars. There are Enemies plotting to overthrow our Country both outside our borders, and within. There are individuals, factions, and organizations who want to overthrow our Government, take away our Freedoms, and destroy our way of life. They would not bat an eye at the prospect of murdering every single American to accomplish their goals.

And while these problems are developing, and worsening, we in America are tearing each other apart over whether or not we should respond to these threats, or beg our enemies for mercy.

The thought of turning the thermostat too low for comfort in the cells of the enemy combatants (who would murder whole cities full of Americans, if they could figure out how...) that we have captured is far too torturous to bear, for some of us.

These are very hard problems to solve. As a matter of fact, we as mere human beings are not able to solve them. Not on our own.

But God can.

I am not afraid of the World, because I know that if I trust Him to, God can, and will deliver me.

God has been very good to me. He has placed me in the greatest Nation on Earth, and has blessed me with the freedom to worship Him any way I see fit. He has blessed me with material things at a level that most of the World cannot even imagine. He has given me the freedom, and the drive and ambition to try to better myself and my situation any way that I can think of, and the conscience and awareness to realize that I should try to share these blessings with every human being in the World. He also blessed me with the realization that my well being is my own responsibility, and that I have a role in society that is unique, and if I shirk my responsibility in any way, then what I am here to do does not get done.

And He blessed me with the common sense to realize that these things are indeed blessings from Him, and that these blessings should be protected and preserved.

To that end, He has blessed me with a Government that has the weapons and tools to protect me, my family, and our Society from threats against our Freedoms and our lifestyle. He has blessed my Country with (some) leaders who realize that protecting our Freedom and our lifestyle is not only their job, but their Christian Responsibility. (No matter who attacks them because of it.)

Whenever I am confronted by people who want to be pacifists, and hide from the problems of the World behind the robes of Jesus, (because EVERYBODY knows that Jesus did not condone violence, don'tcha know...), I think of this quote. It isn't from the Bible, but God also blessed me with the ability to recognize truth and incorporate common sense into my opinions and lifestyle, even if it did not come directly from the Bible. (God blesses different people in different ways, I guess.)


"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." --George Orwell

When you complain about how evil the President is for taking us to War, and you scream that Jesus was a Pacifist, and would never condone violence, and you tell me that I am wrong for wanting to deal forcefully with our Enemies around the World, remember that someone paid for your right to do that with their life.

Someone engaged in War, for your right to be a pacifist.

God helps those who help themselves.

No comments: