Sunday, April 30, 2006

Today Was A Good Day.

Boy, am I tired...

My Wife, my brother in law, and my two sisters in law, and I went tubing down the Rainbow River in Western Central Florida today. We are tired, sunburned, soggy, and happy.

I did not know how badly I needed this trip. It was a 4 mile, 3 1/2 hour drift on a round float down a very beautiful, litter free waterway that God made just for my enjoyment. We saw spiders, and bugs, and Cranes eating little fishes, and River Otters, and Cypress Trees, and Moss covered Rocks, and underwater grass. We played, and talked, and connected, and squirted each other with water guns, and forgot about all of the struggles of everyday life for 3 1/2 hours.

It was very relaxing.

When we reached the parking lot at the end of the float, The Lord provided a Hot Dog Stand, and we snacked on Hot Dogs and Chips, and canned sodas, and we were refreshed.

On the trip home, we stopped at a gas station, and I found out that $5.00 worth of boiled peanuts creates a carload of happy women, and this is a very good thing.

Tommorrow, we will all return to the grind. But Today, we stepped outside of our daily lives, and played like children.

I would not have gone on this trip, ever, had it not been for my Wife. Given my choice, I would sit inside the house every spare minute, watching television and surfing the internet. But she remembered doing this as a young child, and she wanted me to experience the wonder and joy that she felt then.

It worked.

I haven't been as happy as I was on that river in a long, long time.

There is really no point or punchline to this post. I am not trying to educate anyone, or offer any commentary on the state of the World, or offer any solutions to the problems that we face.

We will always have problems.

I am simply sharing my account of one day in my life when I was happy. Unreservedly, unashamedly, undeniably happy.

Days like this are the reason that we work. They are the reason that family and friends are important.

They are the reason that we live.

Have them every chance you get.

We only live once.

No comments: